I want my TV!
A new television show has officially commenced, and with this one a new Aaron Sorkin/Thomas Schlamme series, and Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin in a primetime sitcom. I really do have a reason to actually watch television.
Unfortunately, I can't actually watch television. Receiving normal broadcast television has been next to impossible even though the two main transmission towers are 10 and 13 miles away. I live next to an aiport and it throws out so much interference and traffic, that I can actually receive air traffic control communications on my television. I can't get satellite. My balcony faces north. All Direct Broadcast Satellites, the one that broadcast signals to individual homes, sit in geostationary orbit, which means they sit in orbit 22,000 miles above the equator. If they're over the equator, that means I need a dish that points south. I can't have a dish that points south. In the building which I live, AT&T has an exclusive agreement to provide internet, telephone, and television services; it's called a "triple play" in the telecommunications vernacular. Even though I live in Cox Cable's service area, Cox can't provide service to me. OK, so I can get it through AT&T. AT&T subcontracts it to DirecTV, who has a central dish for the building, so there's no southern view problem. However, it's really a DireTV-lite. I can't get HD channels. I can't get a digital video recorder. I really don't want to pay the base price of $50, if I just only want to watch NBC, because both of my reasons for watching television are NBC series.
30 Rock is a NBC comedy for which I have high expectations. The name refers to NBC's location at 30 Rockefeller Center. THe comedy series is about the goings-on of a live variety series. Alec Baldwin has always been spectacularly funny every time he has been on Saturday Night Live, which at last count was twelve times. Tina Fey was a former head writer of Saturday Night Live, and she was co-anchor on Weekend Update. Put those two together and something awful and terrible would have to interefere for it not to be funny. I have yet to make the determination if Tracy Morgan is that something.
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, originally titled Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip, is 30 Rock's dramatic counterpart. However as Tina Fey put it, it has the backing of the most powerful writer in television, Aaron Sorkin. It is an hour-long drama about the goings-on of a live comedy sketch series, a thinly disguised Saturday Night Live, though Saturdy Night Live's executive producer Lorne Michaels denied persmission to Aaron Sorkin to visit Studio 7A, the home of SNL, and observe it. As with all Aaron Sorkin productions, it is to a degree autobiographical. Fictional director Danny Tripp has a close relationship with fictional writer Matt Albie. Actual director Tommy Schlamme has a close relationship with actual writer Aaron Sorkin. Danny Tripp has a history of substance abuse. Aaron Sorkin has a history of substance abuse, including an infamous arrest at Burbank Airport for possession of mushrooms, rock cocaine, and marijuana. Matt Albie had an intimate relationship with an devout Christian actress and singer who performed on the 700 Club. Aaron Sorkin had an intimate relationship with Kristin Chenoweth who is a devout Christian actress and singer who performed on the 700 Club. Oh, and Matt Albie and Danny Tripp are called back into television to save a sagging television series. NBC is currently a third-place network. Can it be saved by Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme's new television series?
NBC has decided to put its TV series online the day after it airs, so that's the option I'm taking. Now if I could only get the online video player to work. . . .
Unfortunately, I can't actually watch television. Receiving normal broadcast television has been next to impossible even though the two main transmission towers are 10 and 13 miles away. I live next to an aiport and it throws out so much interference and traffic, that I can actually receive air traffic control communications on my television. I can't get satellite. My balcony faces north. All Direct Broadcast Satellites, the one that broadcast signals to individual homes, sit in geostationary orbit, which means they sit in orbit 22,000 miles above the equator. If they're over the equator, that means I need a dish that points south. I can't have a dish that points south. In the building which I live, AT&T has an exclusive agreement to provide internet, telephone, and television services; it's called a "triple play" in the telecommunications vernacular. Even though I live in Cox Cable's service area, Cox can't provide service to me. OK, so I can get it through AT&T. AT&T subcontracts it to DirecTV, who has a central dish for the building, so there's no southern view problem. However, it's really a DireTV-lite. I can't get HD channels. I can't get a digital video recorder. I really don't want to pay the base price of $50, if I just only want to watch NBC, because both of my reasons for watching television are NBC series.
30 Rock is a NBC comedy for which I have high expectations. The name refers to NBC's location at 30 Rockefeller Center. THe comedy series is about the goings-on of a live variety series. Alec Baldwin has always been spectacularly funny every time he has been on Saturday Night Live, which at last count was twelve times. Tina Fey was a former head writer of Saturday Night Live, and she was co-anchor on Weekend Update. Put those two together and something awful and terrible would have to interefere for it not to be funny. I have yet to make the determination if Tracy Morgan is that something.
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, originally titled Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip, is 30 Rock's dramatic counterpart. However as Tina Fey put it, it has the backing of the most powerful writer in television, Aaron Sorkin. It is an hour-long drama about the goings-on of a live comedy sketch series, a thinly disguised Saturday Night Live, though Saturdy Night Live's executive producer Lorne Michaels denied persmission to Aaron Sorkin to visit Studio 7A, the home of SNL, and observe it. As with all Aaron Sorkin productions, it is to a degree autobiographical. Fictional director Danny Tripp has a close relationship with fictional writer Matt Albie. Actual director Tommy Schlamme has a close relationship with actual writer Aaron Sorkin. Danny Tripp has a history of substance abuse. Aaron Sorkin has a history of substance abuse, including an infamous arrest at Burbank Airport for possession of mushrooms, rock cocaine, and marijuana. Matt Albie had an intimate relationship with an devout Christian actress and singer who performed on the 700 Club. Aaron Sorkin had an intimate relationship with Kristin Chenoweth who is a devout Christian actress and singer who performed on the 700 Club. Oh, and Matt Albie and Danny Tripp are called back into television to save a sagging television series. NBC is currently a third-place network. Can it be saved by Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme's new television series?
NBC has decided to put its TV series online the day after it airs, so that's the option I'm taking. Now if I could only get the online video player to work. . . .

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home